I then hemmed the bottom of each panel. Unfortunately when Ikea says that each panel is 108″ long, that doesn’t mean that each panel is 108″ long. I don’t even know if either panel was that length, but I can say they were definitely different lengths. Also unfortunately, a natural fleck in the fabric can be confused with the line you made with a pencil to mark the hemming length. You can imagine my happiness when I hung my curtains up and they were not only way too short, but also different lengths.
To make a LOOONG story short, I ended up adding a green panel (also sewed with a basting stitch) with exposed serged edges to the bottom of each panel. I initially ruffled the green at the bottom but after getting them half done I decided it would just be too much ruffles. I would never want my seam ripper to be left out of a project anyway. Obviously the picture was taken pre-pressing and you can still see the remnants of my gathering fiasco :).