After reading Anna’s post the other day on finishing her Spring Top Week shirt, I thought maybe I should get mine done too! After all, Spring Top Week was over months ago, and I hadn’t even started my intended entry :). A while ago I made this shirt, using McCalls 5388 pattern.
As I mentioned in that post, I made several changes to the pattern as recommended by pattern reviews. I made several more changes this time, almost making me wonder what I was using the pattern for! Okay, that’s not true, because I’m far from being talented enough to draft a top from scratch. But basically I changed every pattern piece in at least one way. I took in the yoke in every direction, raised the neckline, took in the shirt front and back, and changed the shape of the sleeves. After all those changes, believe it or not, I kept the original length of the shirt, and it was perfect. That never seems to happen!
Now I need to write down all the changes I made so I don’t have to experiment again next time. Actually, although I’m happy now with my second attempt at the shirt, I think I might retire the pattern for now and try a new one next time that doesn’t require so many changes!
I will be linking to a few of these parties!