A couple of days later I opened my mailbox, ripped open the big white envelope, and found this gem:
The challenge? Make It Work.
First, let’s talk a bit about what I had to work with, the good and bad about the pattern:
Considering that the point of Sabra’s challenge for me was to make something good out of a pattern that was, well, not-so-good, I still managed to find some positives to work from with the pattern. With even the ugliest or out of date pattern, you can still find some positives to base your finished product on. What I liked most about this pattern when I first saw it is that there was a tunic option. I’ve decided that tunics and leggings are going to be my mainstay this spring and summer, so I was excited to see View C, with a nice long length. I also like the overall shape of the top, as it is loose and looks like it would be comfortable to wear. In a shorter blouse length, the top looks fairly shapeless and out of date, but transferred into a modern tunic, I knew I could make the shape into a positive.
Without getting into too much detail (we’ll save that for a post of it’s own sometime), I took my measurements at several critical areas – hips, waist, bust, shoulder, and a few others, and, after adding ease to these measurements, used the original pattern lines to make the pattern fit my measurements.
And cut each side seam apart…
Next, I assembled each sleeve and stitch them right sides together to the arm openings.
And the tunic itself was done (I do iron my clothing once in a while, just not before I took this photo…)!