I had no intentions of sewing any Christmas outfits for my kids this year, including a dress for Lola. I found an adorable dress on clearance at Gap a couple of months ago that would be perfect for Christmas, so I was set! Until, that is, I found this mustard yellow, gold dot cotton at Jo-Ann.
How could I not buy a couple of yards just *in case* I had a hinkering to make a dress for Lola afterall? I loved that it was festive, but still different than your average Christmas dress fabric. And just as a side note, these photos were taken after three hours of church, so please excuse any wrinkles. It was perfectly pressed when we left the house :).
I think the fact that I had a dress already for her took any pressure away (I hate sewing under any form of pressure), and I had the motivation to start sewing. I feel like I had been in a bit of a sewing rut the last few weeks, and although I’ve had lots of ideas for projects, there had been some sort of anxiety looming over me that prevented me from starting anything. I kept imagining things not turning out how I wanted them to, and it was so frustrating because I knew that I just needed to start!
So luckily I finally did start, and I have to say that my sewing mojo is back. Not that the dress turned out perfectly, but I am really happy with the finished product. If the design looks familiar, it’s because it’s very similar to the dress I made last year for Lola.
Why change a good thing, right? Hehe. There were a few things I wished that I had done differently last year concerning the skirt construction, and it was fun to have a chance to make those changes. A form of sewing redemption perhaps :). Of course now there are new things that I plan to do differently for next year…
Like last year’s dress, the pattern is self drafted, and I lined the bodice out of the same fabric. I was worried about being able to press the gold dots, but I had no problems at all and could press away which was great.
The ruffles were made with the help of my serger’s gathering foot, which was a major time saver.
I really wanted to add an exposed zipper because I thought it would be so cute with the fabric, but it just didn’t go with the style of the dress so I had to talk myself out of it. I thought fabric covered buttons would be a better choice. It was my first time making them, and I’m hooked! I never knew how easy and quick they are to make, and I’ll be making a lot more in the future for other projects.
I just love this little bug! She is getting quite the personality (AKA screams for whatever she wants, wherever she wants), but she is the light of our lives.
After all the fun I had making this dress, I decided I wanted to make Wyatt and Weston some coordinating bow ties, which turned into more than just bow ties. I can’t wait to show you how their outfits turned out, and some photos of all three of my lovelies together!