The other day I shared all about Lola’s bunny costume, and today is all about this little hound dog!
As promised, today I’m sharing a free pattern for footed baby pants! If you hate trying to keep socks on a baby’s feet as much as I do, you’ll love these little pants! [Read more…]
This quick little project had been on my mind for some time – I first saw the idea on U-Create and then another version by Christie of A Lemon Squeezy Home, and I was glad to check it off my mental list before Hattie was born. [Read more…]
I got away with making just one Halloween costume this year. Lola will be wearing the zebra costume that both Wyatt and Weston wore for a couple of years each as toddlers, and Weston will be wearing a superhero costume that Wyatt wore a few years ago. I found this blog post about the same costumes from the year that Wyatt and Weston wore them, and this photo:When I first looked at the photo I thought that Lola was Weston for a second. I have never been able to figure out who she looks like so it was fun to see a resemblance. And I’ll be wearing my go-to cavewoman costume for year number 4. Let me tell you, that costume has been well worth the hour it took to make! And I’m sure this year won’t be my last wearing it :).
So, on to this year… Wyatt went back and forth between a few ideas for his costume, but together we eventually decided on making him a mummy costume. He can’t wear the costume without playing the part, I tell ya.
I lucked out and found the white twill in the $1/yard section at Walmart. I was planning on heading to Jo-Ann to buy white muslin after our Walmart stop that day, so I was a happy camper. It worked great for all of the strips, and I ended up using all but a tiny bit of the three yards.
For the top I used a white long sleeve knit t-shirt, a couple of sizes too large for Wyatt since there wouldn’t be any room for stretch once the strips were sewn on. Before sewing the strips on, I cut up each side and sleeve seam so I could sew the strips with the shirt opened up and flat. I also cut a slit in the back neck to allow the shirt to fit over Wyatt’s head. When I added the strips, I left a couple extra long so they could tie the opening shut.
For the bottoms, my first try was a major fail. For the base, I used a pair of thermal underwear that we already had, and ended up cutting them off of not one but both of my boys at different times. Funny now, not so funny at the time… I needed a lot more room in the pants, so for the second attempt I used this free pajama pants pattern (it’s a great one and I have plans to use it for real pajamas soon!), and sewed all the strips on before piecing the pants together. I used an off-white flannel that I’ve had in my stash for years, which felt great to use!
I made the hat by basically starting with a base strip that fit around Wyatt’s head and then adding one or two more pieces at a time until it looked right. I’m still not sure that it looks 100% right, but it’s done :).
I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve sewn anything for Wyatt, so I really enjoyed this project (after the first fail, that is). He’s so rough on his clothes now that I feel like it’s often not worth it to spend the time sewing him clothes that could be wrecked after a few uses. But I sure do love this 6 year old and love seeing how pleased he is with himself in his costume!
You could also change things up by adding back pleats as well which would give even more room for your little one (or big one) to move!
Ready to get sewing?
1 fat quarter
solid white cotton scrap – 8″x10″
scrap of piping
1″-2″ elastic – 17″
*Seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise noted.
Cut a 10″x22″ (the length of your fat quarter) rectangle from your fat quarter. Remember you can always use another fat quarter and piece the two together if you need added width for a larger size.
Cut a 4″x6″ rectangle from the fat quarter, fold it in half, and trim the bottom corner into a curve.
Fold the 10″x22″ piece in half widthwise, and match the fold of the curved piece to the fold of the larger piece. Use a rotary cutter to cut the larger piece from top to bottom, 1/2″ from the edge of the curved piece.
Cut two 4″x10″ pieces from the solid white scrap and press each in half lengthwise.
Right sides together, stitch one white piece to center skirt piece (center piece previously had the fold), matching raw edges. White piece fold will be facing outward.
Repeat using remaining solid white piece and opposite side of center skirt piece.
Repeat with outside edges of solid white pieces and remaining skirt pieces. Finish all stitched raw edges and press seams.
Re-fold white strips along initial fold line, tucking pleats to inside. Press well with steam.
Stitch along top of each pleat, 1/4″ from top raw edge, to secure in place.
Right sides together, stitch piping to curved piece, matching raw edges.
Press piping to wrong side of printed fabric.
Stitch curved piece to skirt close to edge, centering between pleats and matching top raw edges. You’ll also be stitching through part of the pleats underneath.
Stitch three buttons to each side of curved piece. Top of buttons should be 1″ from top edge to allow for waistband.
Right sides together, stitch center back seam. Finish raw edge and press seam.
Serge or zig zag stitch top of skirt to finish raw edge.
Stitch ends of elastic together using 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seam allowance open and stitch on each side of seam to secure ends.
Right sides together, pin elastic to top edge of skirt, matching center back seam to waistband seam. Stitch together using 1/4″ seam allowance, stretching elastic to fit top of skirt.
Press waistband upward and seam allowance toward skirt.
Press bottom edge 1″ toward wrong side. Press bottom edge another 1″ toward wrong side and topstitch, creating hem.