Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably seen all of the fun Jo-Ann rainbow linen (officially called multi-stripe) projects popping up all over blogland and Instagram over the past year or so. I was so inspired by the dresses, shirts, and even bags that others shared, that I knew I needed to make something for myself with it! After much deliberation, the Hinterland Dress pattern from Sew Liberated was the winner, and I’m sharing all about it today.
I’ve been on a dress-sewing kick lately, and it’s been so fun! I have been loving wearing my newest Hey June Handmade Charleston as well, and it’s been nice to have some new dresses to wear along with some of my older favorites like this semi-handmade layered ruffle dress, my tie dye Fringe Dress, and my what-I-want-to-wear-for-ultimate-comfort dress that I still haven’t gotten sick of over two years later ;).
Along with the Jo-Ann rainbow linen, the Hinterland Dress has also been super popular with sewing bloggers. Just checkout the #hinterland tag on Instagram and you’ll see all the amazing versions! There were some really helpful blog posts I referred to while making my Hinterland decisions, and you can check out Sara and Tori’s posts for lots of info! Sara also happened to be one of my major rainbow linen inspirations too – her Kalle Shirt Dress is just sooo good and we almost ended up twinning ;).
While I love the relaxed look of the the Hinterland, I knew that a more fitted bodice would work best with my body type, so after comparing the size charts and finished measurements, I sewed a size 4. As the skirt portion is gathered, I knew I could ignore those measurements as there would be plenty of ease for my hip measurement.
The sizing almost worked out perfectly, but ended up a little snug in the shoulders. Snug enough that it probably would have bugged me while wearing it, unfortunately. I debated sewing up a new bodice in a size up, but lucked out and was able to let each sleeve seam out about 1/8″ (I was so grateful that I left a little space while serging!). That gave me just enough room for the shoulders to be comfortable and sit in place where I wanted them. Phew.
I also added 3 inches I believe to the original pattern length, which was perfect to hit a little above mid-calf like I wanted.
I think if I were to sew another, I would size up to give more shoulder room, and then use the ties to bring in the waist when wearing.
The Hinterland Dress pattern gives options for a button-up bodice or plain, and although I had originally planned to do no buttons for my own laziness’ sake, I’m so glad I took the time to add the buttons. It’s such a great part of the dress design!
It’s the perfect lightweight and airy but still structured fabric for a garment like the Hinterland Dress.