Color Blocking Basics
From casual wear…
To the runways…
It’s a trend that’s not likely going away any time soon.
I often hear of women who are intimidated to put together a color blocked outfit, so today let’s fix that! Here are a few basics that will help you become a color blocking pro!
Let’s start by taking a quick look at the color wheel. The color wheel is your ultimate guide to what works and what doesn’t work with color blocking. There are a few different ways we can use the color wheel to pull colors together.
First, colors that are direct opposites, as the first color wheel illustrates. This is definitely the easiest way to color block, and a great way to start. Second, colors that form a triangle, as the middle color wheel illustrates (and yes, there are differently ways to form a triangle, but we’re gonna keep it basic for today). Lastly, we can color block using colors that are adjacent to each other, as the color wheel on the right illustrates.
Keeping the color wheel in mind, here are a few more tips:
1. Baby steps. If you’re nervous to color block, start with baby steps :). Beginning with just two colors will help you learn what works and what doesn’t, and build your confidence with color blocking. You can also always pair a color blocked outfit with a neutral to be safe.
2. Keep it in the family. The color family, that is. When color blocking, keep jewel tones with jewel tones, pastels with pastels, etc.
|Image via Sterling Style|
3. Keep it simple. Solids, solids, solids. Don’t try mix patterns when color blocking. Think simple, clean lines for your clothing, and you’ll have a much more sophisticated look.
4. Say yes to accessories. A great way to color block is the use of accessories. Adding a colored purse to an outfit makes it hard to go wrong, or try a fun nail polish color!
5. Be strategic. If you’re proud of a certain body part, use a bold color to draw attention to the area. If you have an area you’re less than pleased with, use a neutral in that area.
Love some of these outfits. Alas, the office expects sombre-ish, so I have to stick to dark trousers and bright fitted tees lol
This is so helpful! I love the outfits and I feel the need to send this link to several people I know ;) I’d love for you to link this up at my party at http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/08/fabulous-friday-link-party-14.html
Have a great week!
What a fun (and helpful) post! I’m loving several of those outfits!
Very fun post!! I love color blocking but don’t have enough brights to really do it right just yet!
I’m featuring this on my LInk Party tomorrow at Doodles & Stitches. I love the info. Thanks for linking up and don’t forget to grab an “Ive been featured” button on the post tomorrow :)
This is so helpful!!! I bought a few pairs of bright colored pants and haven’t been brave enough to wear anything besides white on top. Thanks for the tips!
I love your blog–I am going to link this to my fashion blog–hope you don’t mind—this is a great explanation of color blocking! Please be sure to check out my website classyhkfashion.weebly.com
Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured
I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
My site discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could
greatly benefit from each other. If you might
be interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!
Fantastic blog by the way!
Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am going through issues with your RSS.
I don’t understand why I cannot join it. Is there anybody having the same RSS problems?
Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting
anyplace, when i read this article i thought i could also make comment due to this
Hi there are using Wordpress for your site platform?
I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!
I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience
over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since
exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.
Why people still use to read news papers when in this
technological globe the whole thing is presented on net?