Hi sewing friends! We have an exciting day today at Sew Much Ado! Not only did we release the new Sullivan Dress PDF Pattern, but I also get to share this Summer Nightie Free Pattern with you!
I’m joining in on The Polka Dot Chair’s Summer Sewing series, and what better summer project than a lightweight, comfy nightie for your little one?
Lola loves to wear nighties, and I remember feeling the same way as a little girl.
She’s worn her new nightie every chance she can since I’ve made it, and I can’t blame her!
It’s cute but not too hot, and I don’t know any little girls who will complain about a ruffle on their pjs!
She did, however, complain about the temporary tattoo her brother put on her without her knowing what he was doing ;).
(affiliate links below)
1 1/4yd 58″ wide knit fabric (how sweet would this floral be?!) – 30-40% stretch, amount allows for average shrinkage (can use contrast knit for the neck and armhole bands if desired)
Click HERE to download and print Summer Nightie Free Pattern, sized 2/3 (toddler). Print pattern at 100% (no scaling) and tape pieces together, matching triangles. Cut fabric as instructed on pattern, including “additional pieces to cut” as noted on front/back pattern piece.
UPDATE: After MANY requests for expanded sizes, we have released The Bellamy Nightgown Pattern, inspired by this free pattern! With sizes 18-24m through 12 years and lots of options including two sleeve lengths and both below knee and ankle lengths, it’s the only girl’s nightgown pattern you’ll ever need! Get the Bellamy Nightgown Pattern HERE!
Note: This is a great project for a serger. If you don’t have a serger, be sure to use a long and narrow zig zag stitch to allow the fabric to stretch when being worn. Also, be sure to use a ballpoint needle whenever sewing with knits. When sewing neck and arm bands, widen the zig zag stitch slightly to allow fabric to stretch over head and arms.
*All seam allowances are 1/2″.*
If dresses are also on your sewing list, this post will have you covered with lots of free girl’s dress pattern ideas. Let’s get sewing!
- Right sides together, stitch front and back together along one shoulder.
- Wrong sides together, press neckband in half, matching long raw edges.
- Pin neckband raw edges to neckline raw edges, stretching neckband to fit neckline. Stitch along pinned edge.
- Right sides together, stitch front and back together along open shoulder.
- Repeat steps 2-3 to attach armhole bands to armholes.
- Right sides together, stitch front and back together along each side seam.
- Right sides together, stitch ruffle piece together along short ends.
- Press bottom of ruffle 1/2″ toward wrong side and stitch close to raw edge to hem ruffle. Use basting or gathering stitch to stitch around top of ruffle. Do not backstitch at beginning or end of stitches.
- Pull bottom threads only to gather ruffle piece to equal width of bottom of nightie.
- Right sides together, pin gathered edge of ruffle piece to bottom of dress, evening gathers as needed. Stitch along pinned edge, attaching ruffle to nightie.
Voila! A new Summer Nightie for your favorite little lady!