Need a fun, fast, update for your hair? I can always answer that question with a yes, and was so excited when I spotted Anthropologie’s Brocco Bobbies:
My first thought was how easy it would be to make something similar. They aren’t made of anything more than a fabric yo-yo, a bit of ribbon, and a little bling. The best part is you can customize your own bobbies to your own style and preferences, and the possibilites are endless!
Let’s get started…
Materials: 1. fabric scrap – approximately 4″x4″ 2. 1/4″ or 1/2″ wide ribbon scrap – 3″ in length 3. needle and thread 4. glue gun 5. vintage brooch or button (my pink and gold “brooch” pictured was part of a vintage bracelet I found at DI)
6. bobby pin
7. small felt scrap
Instructions: 1. First we’ll make a fabric yo-yo as the base of our hair pin. Using a bowl or other circular item that is approximately 4″ in diameter (the finished yo-yo will be close to half the size of your initial fabric circle, so adjust accordingly if you’d like), trace a circle onto the wrong side of your fabric.
2. Cut along traced line.
3. Thread your needle and knot the end of the thread, keeping the thread doubled. Stitch around the entire circumference of your fabric circle, 1/4″ from the edge. Leave the needle and thread attached for now.
4. Pull on the thread to very slightly bring the edges of the fabric circle toward the center. This will make the next step easier.
5. Press fabric circle 1/4″ toward wrong side around entire circumference. The right side will look like this:
6. Pull on needle and thread, gathering all edges of fabric circle in to the middle area. The tighter you pull the thread, the flatter your yo-yo will be. I left mine fairly loose to make the yo-yo a bit more bulky. Tie off threads and snip close to knot.
7. Cut piece of ribbon slightly wider than yo-yo and use a match to seal edges from fraying if desired.
8. Using glue gun, place a small amount of glue in middle of yo-yo, and position ribbon over top, pressing it down slightly into the center of yo-yo.
9. Place a small amount of glue on center of ribbon and glue brooch or button in place.
10. Cut a 1″x1″ circle from felt and glue to center back (flat side) of yo-yo.
11. Place a small amount of glue on center of felt circle and adhere flat area of bobby pin in place.
Great job, you are done! Now go and make some more :).
Make a statement with red…
Try adding a feather or two…
Or ditch the bobby pin for a headband!
Be sure to add pics of your bobbies to the Sew Much Ado Flickr Group! I can’t wait to see what you come up with :).