The other day I shared all about Lola’s bunny costume, and today is all about this little hound dog!
This DIY Elvis costume was really fun to make. I knew I wanted to take advantage of Hattie’s hair, and this idea popped into my head one day (it apparently has also popped into many other peoples’ heads, which I learned after googling it…).
Have slightly older Elvis’ that want to have their own candy bag to fill to the brim? Try our Halloween trick or treat bag free pattern!
It’s hard to believe that this little baby is already 7 months old. If only I could use the crying emoji on my computer. You know the one with tears streaming down the face?
I used Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop’s Classic Footed Pajamas pattern as a base for the Elvis jumpsuit.
I omitted the feet and added triangular inserts to the legs and sleeves to make them flared. The scarf is just a rectangular piece of fabric – the easiest part of the whole costume!
I also altered the neckline into a plunging V-neck, and drafted a collar. I wanted the collar to be stiff and have a lot of body, so I used heavy interfacing and fusible fleece. I wasn’t sure at first if the fusible fleece was a bad idea, because it was puffier than I wanted, but after a good pressing it was perfect – slightly overstated but not too crazy (relatively speaking – this is an Elvis jumpsuit, after all).
The belt is made out of gold elastic, and I’m excited to use it on a skirt for Lola. I sewed it the entire way around the jumpsuit so I didn’t have to worry about it staying in place. The “buckle” is sewn on one side to the jumpsuit, and velcros across the zipper onto the other side.
The rhinestones were my least favorite part of making this little Elvis jumpsuit. I had planned to use hot glue to attach them, but the rhinestones came right off, so after some (more) googling, I used E-6000 glue. It worked great, and produced a very strong bond. It’s supposed to even be okay in the washing machine once it cures, but I’ll probably try to avoid that anyway. Whatever method you use to attach the rhinestones, it’s important to make sure that they’re secure and not going to come off and into your baby’s hands/mouth. They definitely keep Hattie’s attention…
All the fabric and supplies for this project were found at Jo-Ann, and worked out so well. I had originally planned to use satin, but would have had to draft a pattern that would work with wovens, so when I saw the stretchy velour, I was so happy (and relieved that I could use a pj pattern and didn’t have to draft it all myself).
Whew! I’ll be back on Monday, with the start of the Pretty in Peplum Dress & Top Pattern Tour! We have a huge giveaway to go along with it that you won’t want to miss, and some incredible bloggers joining the tour! Happy Halloween!