Our power was out over the weekend (the price to pay for living in such a beautiful place), so I’m a little late in getting this posted today, but I’ve been dying to share Lola’s Halloween costume with you.
I used this Burdastyle pattern, and changed the construction method a bit. If I can alter things to avoid any hand stitching, I certainly will (and did). I’ve never sewn with a Burdastyle pattern before, and although I had heard that there was no illustrations or photos included, I was a bit surprised at the lack of thorough instructions as well. I wouldn’t recommend this pattern for a beginner sewer because of that. But if you’re comfortable figuring things out, the finished product is definitely worth it!
I also changed the pink belly – it’s supposed to be sewn on top of the white, as a separate piece which goes over the zipper and velcros on the other side. It seemed like that may be annoying and might not stay in place nicely, so I just cut that piece in half and stitch each half directly to the torso with the edges turned under.
I found both the white faux fur and pink snuggle fabric from Jo-Ann. And can I just say, faux fur is the WORST to sew with. Last time I sewed with it I promised it would be my last, and although I apparently lied, I’m going to promise the same again. It helped a lot to vacuum after each piece was cut, and vacuum frequently as I was sewing as well.
I have one more costume to finish up (for Hattie), which I’ll be sharing later this week – if you follow me on Instagram (@sewmuchado), you might have a clue of what it is! I usually have a rule for myself that I won’t sew a costume unless it’s going to get worn multiple times or by multiple children over the years, but I couldn’t resist on this one and am making an exception. My boys are making it easy on me this year. Wyatt wants to wear his mummy costume again, and Weston will be Wolverine, thanks to Costco :). No complaints here!