This simple yet elegant table runner is a perfect addition to any table.
Even better, it’s an easy project that you can have whipped up in no time!
Ready to get started?
Burlap – 48″ wide and the finished desired length plus 6″
Cotton – 45″ wide and TWICE as long as the length of burlap – if you want to use your ruffler foot, it’s a good idea to have a little extra length of cotton
*You’ll have enough width to be able to make three runners out of the above amounts.*
1. Cut the burlap to 16″ wide and the cotton to 10″ wide (it’s easiest if you rip the cotton along the grainline). You can adjust these widths, but I’d recommend to keep at least 6″ difference between the two to make sure you have a nice wide border of burlap.
3. Repeat step 2 with the remaining long sides of cotton and burlap. You can see that my gathered cotton ended up being just a hair shorter than my burlap, but since I started with a little extra length, it’s no worry and will be trimmed soon!
4. Turn the runner right side out.
5. Keeping the ruffles centered in the middle, press the folded burlap edges flat, keeping equal amounts of burlap on each side. You can press just the edge of the ruffles, making them more billowy…
Or you can press them flat, making a more modern and sleek ruffle.
6. Topstitch 1/4″ from edge of ruffle on each side down length of runner.
7. Trim the runner to your desired finished length plus 4″. Press one end 1″ toward the wrong side, and then another 1″.
8. Topstitch close to the folded edge.
9. Repeat steps 7-8 with other end of runner.