Today’s post has been a long time coming. And I don’t mean that in a dramatic sense, I mean it in a very literal sense, hehe. I sewed it as one of the earliest Sullivan Dress Pattern versions last spring/summer, and then didn’t get it photographed until months later, in November. I had originally made it for Lola, but by the time I got around to photographing it, she had outgrown it, so Hattie lucked out and it became hers. And now that I’m finally sharing about it here, Hattie has outgrown it herself and it’s ready to be passed on to one of our favorite little friends.
I have to say though, the time it took me to blog about this dress certainly doesn’t match how much I love it!
While most of the Sullivan Dresses I’ve made have been coordinating fabrics on the bodice and skirt pieces, I opted for a different look with this version. I used the same fabric from Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts that I used for my Lady’s Caroline Dress (inspired by the Cinderella movie that came out around that time) a couple of years ago. The blue and yellow colors are so pretty together, while giving a bit of an old fashioned vibe.
The tulip shaped sleeves are still one of my favorite parts about this pattern. I love design elements that are simple but have a bit of a twist.
And if you know me, you know I’ll never tire of scallops! They are so classic but can be made modern and add the perfect touch of femininity to any look. They’re also a lot more fun and easy to sew than you may think! This pattern creates them using a facing, and it’s so worth the extra few minutes it takes to sew them!