Tutorial: Reusable Swiffer Duster Cloths.

swiffer duster cloths
I hate to say it, but I LOVE cleaning products. Not cleaning, just the products. Even more, I love DISPOSABLE cleaning products. I hate that they’re full of chemicals and are wasteful and expensive, but I love the convienience. Somehow having the latest cleaning gadget helps to motivate me to clean. It makes it more fun. Not that it’s fun to begin with. I’ve wanted to make some changes to my habits when it comes to cleaning for a while now.

One of my favorite cleaning products is the Swiffer duster. They are so handy and work so well. If only it weren’t for the disposable duster cloths they use (and use, and use). I’ve been wanting to make a reusable Swiffer duster cloth for a long time but hadn’t gotten around to it. I guess I was saving it for Go Green Month. I love the reusable flannel duster cloth. It can be washed over and over again, and really does a great job dusting. I HAD to share the tutorial so you can all make your own!
Description:
This tutorial will guide you through the steps to make your own reuseable Swiffer duster cloth. The best part is that the more it’s used and washed, the better it will work! From start to finish, you should have your new duster made within 30 minutes!
Materials:
4 7″x7″ pieces flannel
4 4″x7″ pieces flannel (can be coordinating color)
Swiffer duster handle
Thread
Note: I found that flannel works best at dusting. I also tried using microfiber (you can get microfiber cloths at the dollar store for a couple of bucks), but personally didn’t like it as much as flannel. It didn’t seem to hold as much dust, and made a HUGE mess as I was cutting it up. Polar fleece may also be a good alternative, but I would still prefer flannel, in my very humble opinion :).

Directions:
1. Place two pieces of 4″x7″ flannel on two pieces of 7″x7″ flannel, centering smaller pieces on top. Repeat with remaining flannel squares.

2. Join small and large pieces together by stitching down center of all four layers of fabric as pictured. Stack the two sets of flannel on top of each other, with the small pieces on the top and bottom.

3. Next, make the casing for the Swiffer duster handle. Fold the small pieces of fabric to one side, align the base of the prongs at the edge of the fabric, and center the prongs over the middle seam where the small and large pieces were joined together.

4. Trace close to side edge of prong all the way to the edge of fabric, leaving spaces where the curved areas of the prongs are. It is better to leave a little extra space where the curved areas are than to leave too little space. Fold small piece of fabric to opposite side and trace prongs again the same way.
5. Fold top and bottom small pieces to one side and stitch along traced lines, through all four layers of flannel.
6. Fold top and bottom small pieces to opposite side and stitch along traced lines, through all four layers of flannel.
7. Open up top and bottom small pieces at middle seams and lay flat. Slide Swiffer duster handle into the casing you have sewn, in between the 4 large pieces of flannel. Curved areas on prongs should slide into the spaces you left when you stitched the casing in step 6 and hold the handle in place.
8. Beginning with top layer of large flannel piece, trim approximately 1″ of fabric from edge on both sides.
9. Continue trimming each layer approximately 1″ shorter than the layer beneath it.
10. Turn duster cloth over and repeat steps 8-9 with opposite side.
11. Beginning with narrowest layer, clip edges of flannel at 1/2″ intervals along length of duster.
12. Repeat with the next flannel layer beneath.
13. Continue clipping edges of all layers on each side of duster cloth.
14. Ruffle up all clipped edges, and this is what you will have:
15. Throw your new reusable Swiffer duster cloth in the washer and dryer to let the edges fray. You may need to clip some loose or dangling strands of thread.

16. Let your kids, husband, and even you (ya, you) fight over who gets to do the dusting!
Want proof that your new reusable Swiffer duster cloth works? Here ya go.

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Life in the PittsThe Trendy Treehouse http://www.thethriftyhome.comMake it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

Comments

1. What a great idea! I don’t even own one of those swiffer things but I’m so tempted to go out and buy one just so I can make this reusable duster thingy. (yeah… not exactly a green thing to do is it, lol). Thanks for the tute! :)

2. SO COOL!! I’m so making these!
    Thanks for sharing with me and I’ll definitely mention your Green Month and feature this on my blog soon.

3. What a great, fast project! Love it. And, I think the pink actually makes me want to clean–weird. Great tutorial.

4. Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [02 Mar 01:00pm GMT]).

5. Wow! This might make me purchase a swiffer just to have the handle! Great idea!

6. Saw this on Craft Gossip and had to check it out! I’m definitely going to make this for myself and a couple of my “green” friends!

7. I have one of those Swiffer dusters, but I haven’t been able to make myself by more cloths because I felt guilty about throwing them and my money away! I looked for a washable microfiber duster but didn’t have any luck. I’ll be making some of these for sure. Thank you so much for sharing such a great tutorial!

8. Thanks for the great idea, when I run out of my refills, I’ll have to try this.

Just stopping by from Today’s Creative! Signed up to follow you! Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I’m always looking for a few more crafty followers! http://juliechats.blogspot.com

9. This is genius!!! I re-use my swiffer wet-jet container and I use rags for it instead of buying new cleaning cloths. I have one of these dusters and I even have scrap flannel, so I will be trying this idea out. I haven’t decided what I am going to feature next week, but am pretty sure I have to feature this idea. Thanks for sharing.

10. I can’t wait to do this one!

Thanks for that awesome skirt tutorial! Funny that you caught my blog on a day I linked you :-)

11. I love my swiffer duster but this makes so much sense. Anybody sell these? I just don’t have the time!

12. Thank you SO MUCH for this tutorial!

I adore my swiffer duster, but I hate hate hate throwing the things away. I use them til there is nothing left of them because it just bugs me to throw them away, but it’s the only duster that works!

I can’t wait to make some of these, I am headed to the store for flannel RIGHT NOW!

13. Brilliant!

14. I love this! Such a great idea and a perfect way to use up some of my small leftovers. Thanks for the insight!

15. awesome! I must try this!

16. I am also a cleaning tool junkie but like you, can’t justify all that garbage. Thank you so much for this brilliant idea. I’m going to make one (or more) of these TODAY!

17. Holy cow! This is A-MAZING! We go through so many duster refills… definitely going to make this! I even have a ton of flannel! I’m featuing this on my blog this Friday. Come check yourself out and grab my “featured” button!! Thanks… you made my week :o)

18. This is great! I used to buy these but stopped because they are not resusable and expensive.

I always thought flannel would make a good dusting material because all the dog hair and dust on our floor clings to my daughters flannel pants!!!

19. What a fantastic idea!! Bookmarking this and making it! Thanks for sharing.

20. Talk about a useful project! I need to make one of these.

Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

21. I made one out of microfiber but it doesn’t floof out as well as the flannel – looks like I need to make another (or three). :>) I linked to this on my weekly roundup – thanks for sharing!

22. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! It’s right up my alley! Thank you soooo much!

23. Such a great green idea! Beautiful tutorial too!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

24. Love it! I have tons of flannel as I make rag quilts, so easy to do. Thanks!
    Laura

25. I’m featuring you at my Penny Pinching Party tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and grab an “I Was Featured” button.

26. I’m making one for sure. I always see those things at the store. I can’t justify spending the money just to dust. I have tons of fabric scraps! Oh this is good.
    Thanks!
    Kelly

27. How cute is that??? I just took the empty handle away from my 1 year old the other day and luckily threw it back under the sink. We’ve been out for a few weeks now of the refills. How cool to have a reusable one. My husband might even like to dust with this cute new one! Thanks for a great tutorial! Jenn

28. This is WONDERFUL!!! I’ve added it to a “Green Cleaning” roundup on my website today.

You can also grab an “I’ve been featured badge” if you’d like.

Great site!!

29. I love this idea…and by the way I bought my handles at our $1 store so look there first.

30. This is wonderful. I would love to have you be a “Guest Blogger” next week with this project.

Please email me at trendytreehouse@me.com if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Tara @ Trendy Treehouse

31. I will be making these for everyone I know! I love it! Thanks for sharing.

32. Thank you, this is so clever and actually do-able! Will save me money as well as help me go even greener. Thanks again for sharing your brilliance and ingenuity with us.

33. Thank you so much! I love swiffer dusters for walls and valted ceilings but they are too expensive to use regularly. THIS I can handle! YEAH!!

34. Goodmorning from Greece..
    Thank you so much for sharing..
    Thank you sooooo much for helping me save some money..
    Such a great idea..

Rania

35. super awesome idea!!! I love the siwffer dusters but cringe at the thought of how many I throw in the trash. I’ll be making several of these! thanks so much!!!

36. terdralynn says:

I got a Swiffer knockoff duster with a handle and three dusting heads for $1.00. This would make creating the reusables even cheaper. I was wondering what to do with some scrappy flannel I have; now I know. Thanks!

37. Love it! Come link at my party: Thursday’s Treasures!!

38. Anonymous says:

you know, you don’t have to use “swiffer” handles. Just use an inexpensive wooden spoon, an old handle off anything, or even an old “capture” mophead with the handle cut to your own length.

39. I have been looking for something like this as my husband loves to use the Swiffer Dusters, but I hate buying the disposable covers. I will feature this site on my blog tomorrow. I am a new blogger and I hope this is proper to do.
    There are a lot of other interesting articles on this blog. Thanks

40. Mamaof2girls says:

I use swiffer dusters in my classroom and think this is an awesome idea. I even have a pair of worn out flannel pajamas that would be perfect for this. Thanks for posting!

41. Fabulous! My 2 1/2 year old will tackle anyone who tries to take her Swiffer Duster away but I hated the chemicals and cost so this is perfect! I have a TON of cheapy flannel receiving blankets that would work beautifully for this! Off to dig out my scissors! Thanks so much!!!

42. Thanks for a great tutorial – as a newbie with the sewing machine, this was a fail-proof project for me. I just love the repurposing of products I’d otherwise have to dump.

If you don’t mind, I’ll be linking you up on my blog soon – I know my friends will love this project for their own homes too.

43. This comment has been removed by the author.

44. I just added this article to a clients website, they sell flannel rags and this is the perfect project for reusing their rags! If anyone is looking for some flannel they should check out the site! They sell the reclaimed flannel for $43 and you get about 125 pieces… that’s enough to make like 20 of these dusters!

45. Such a clever idea! I linked back to this post from my own sewing blog, quiltinprogress.wordpress.com. Thanks for posting!

46. Brilliant! My daughters and friends are getting one. And my one year old grandson must have one for himself as he is a cleaning maniac with his mom.

47. So simple and so brilliant. Now I can save money by recycling my old flannels.

48. im 16 and am trying to help my parents save money by going green. i made one in a rush. didnt turn out so great but the flannel does pick up dust well. im sure once i sit down and take my time it will be just as good=]

49. So I finally posted about this on my blog. Thanks for sharing!

50. This is so awesome!! I am making one. I have a swiffer handle but quit buying the refills because it just got too expensive. I know we have some flannel pajamas here that don’t fit anymore – and won’t that be cute – doggie and kitty print flannel duster – how appropriate since our pets cause much of the dust in our house!

51. Great idea! I have some flannel baby blankets that I got for 50 cents at Goodwill. Can’t beat that price!

52. Fabulous idea! I’ve posted a link to your post on my green blog in french: http://mavieengreen.blogspot.com/2010/07/un-plumeau-swiffer-reutilisable-cest.html! Thanks for the inspiration, I think even I (aka Mrs I-can’t-sew-even-to-save-my-life) feel like I could do it!

53. I’ve had this idea floating through my head for awhile, but have been hesitant to try, since I hate, hate, hate ineffective dusters, and was leery of investing the time for an inferior product (I clean professionally, which means quality REALLY counts)…how well does it match up to the swiffer pads?? I hate swiffer, preferring the Pledge pads WAY more (MUCH better quality), so if this at least matches, if not betters, Swiffer, I am ALL OVER IT!! :D (Esp, considering how I pay basically a dollar a pad…and I use 4-5 pads a week! Ugh!)

54. :)

55. Loved your Swiffer idea and have posted it on my blog.

56. wow! this came in time..just as I was running out of my Swiffer Duster stuff:):)Thank you for sharing.

57. I love this project! I’ve mentioned your project here http://crossxmyxhooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/fan-fridays-eco-crafts.html

hope you’ll pop by!

58. I finally had a few minutes to make a few… they’re great. I had a few scraps of fleece and made some. They work good too, but I think the flannel picks up more stuff. Thanks for sharing!
    Queen Creek Crazy Quilter

59. Anonymous says:

Do you find that the flannel ravels alot … seems to me it would leave a lot strings …

60. Anonymous – the first time I washed the duster I had some loose strings that I trimmed, but after that I haven’t needed to trim it again at all. If you’re worried about unravelling, you could always cut all your squares of flannel on the bias and that would help :).

61. I love this idea!!! My sister and I had to make them. I posted and linked you on our blog!

62. I love my swiffer duster and have so much flannel sitting around waiting for a job to do! I think I’ll have to make me one of these and get my girls to help because it’s so easy! k

63. Thank you!!!! I think I’ll make more for gifts!

64. Oh my gosh how great! I have a handle in my cupboard and have been procrastinating buying refills because they are so expensive! I will be making a few of these tomorrow!!!!! Thanks

65. Lovin’ this idea sooo much! I bought one of those dusters because I had a coupon/sale deal that made it super cheap, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to buy the refills and now I don’t have to! WHOOT!

However, is there a printable version of your tute? I’d like to have it beside me while I attempt to shop and make one of these covers for my duster.

66. I hate the idea of throwing away my sweeper duster (it is quite expensive where I live)so I was overjoyed to find your terrific blog and this awsome idea and tutorial, thank you so much.

67. I just found my duster handle while cleaning out a closet so of course I abandoned my closet cleaning to find your tutorial which I had seen a while ago. Thank you! I think I’ll end up making a few of them so I can save on the laundry too.

68. Shastababy says:

As if you need another comment about how cool this is!! But I have to say, I “Stumbled Upon” this tut a few days ago and at quarter past midnight was digging through my stash to find some flannel. I’ve made a dozen so far and have another dozen ready to sew for friends. Thank you so much for this!

69. This seems to be a great site which offers Professional Cleaning Company, Commercial Cleaning, High quality cleaning, Domestic Cleaning, House cleaning services, Cleaning Company, Brisbane Cleaning, Lawn Mowing Services, Cleaning Prices, Commercial Cleaning Prices, Domestic cleaning Prices etc. and i would surely like to try their service…i had been relying on http://www.peoplepowercleaning.com earlier and they too offered good stuff.

70. You are absolutely genius!!! I love this. I am always complaining about how much the refills cost. Now I don’t have to. Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial.

Julie

71. genial j adore j ai mis ton lien sur mon blog bisesssssssssssssssssss

72. its nice to read and see this post
    I just came into this blog during search of Cleaning products

73. Great stuff! I just made cloths for my swiffer sweeper, so this is the next logical step in eliminating throw-away items that can be replaced quite easily with reusable ones. Thanks for sharing it with us.

74. I’m so excited I saw this post! I will be making some for home pronto! I also hate throwing away the duster head once it’s full. Thank you, thank you!

75. Hmm…my swiffer duster handle looks nothing like the one in the tutorial. It’s yellow and not as long (the swiffer duster refills actually snap into the handle). did they change the design? Is there something else i can use, or maybe a store brand that works better? i just don’t see a way where this handle will work for the refills. thanks in advance for any tips!

76. Anne – It sounds like they may have changed the design, I’ll have to check next time I’m at the store! Sorry that these refills won’t work for your handle, I’ll let you know if I have any tips after I see the new design :).

77. Hi! I love cleaning products too. :)

I found this tutorial through Pinterest and tried it out the other day. I have the same handle as you so it worked out perfectly for me.

Plus, you inspired me to come up with a reusable Swiffer Sweeper/Wet Jet cloth that I’ll be posting this weekend.

Thank you!!

Alison

Here’s my post…of course, it links back to your post. :)

78. that is a very smart idea. I have a swiffer and use it quite a bit so I think this will be a good way to save money. I was actually looking for swiffer coupons when I found your blog, I did find this swiffer coupons page that was good, but making your own is even better

79. What a great idea! I love using Swiffer dusters but when it comes time to throw one away, I always feel guilty!

Thanks for sharing!

80. Anonymous says:

Fleece Dusters and Sweepers available in my Etsy Shop:

thegreenshop.etsy.com

= D

81. i shared this on my blog wixnstix.wordpress.com I love this and have made two of them so while one is washing, i can continue to dust with the other.

82. I love this! Great idea and so supper easy. I just found you today via pintrest. Now I am following, you have some awesome ideas. If it is ok I will share a link on my blog to your blog.

83. Just made one ,and it is great will be make more for me to use , Thank you so much for makeing this afree patten!!

84. I’m so making this. I just spent $5.00 on generic refills and they are horrible. Thanks for the idea.

85. Thanks for the tutorial. I always cringe when I have to buy these. I have made 3 this morning so that I can have one in each room of the house! Great Idea!

86. i used pinking shears when cutting the flannel and have zero strings.

87. I am new to sewing, and this tutorial was great! It was so easy! Thank you sooooo much!

88. You are a GENIUS! I am going to be making these, too! THANKS for the tutorial!!! :)

89. Anonymous says:

Thank you SO much for posting this!
    I just bought a box of the disposable swiffers tonight and was disgusted at the cost! I will definitely be making these. Ya know, they might be great for housewarming gifts!

90. I bought the a swiffer duster kit just to get the handle. Genius! Thanks for sharing.

91. Anonymous says:

Better design than others I’ve seen and a very well done tutorial. As a well aged woman, I love seeing what all of you talented younger women comen up with. I am proud of your talent, ingenuity and drive. Keep up your good stuff!

92. This. Is. Awesome. You have no idea how excited I am to try this. The last time I bought the duster refills (I REALLY needed them), I stood in front of the display at the store for a good 5 minutes, with my patient sister beside me, before I forced myself to buy them. They are sooo expensive, not to mention wasteful, and I have a lot of home to dust.
    Thank you thank you! I’ll definitely be making more than one of these.

93. Thank you so much for posting this! I just finished making my 2nd one today. They were very easy to make & I was so happy to find this tutorial.

94. Anonymous says:

I am looking forward to making some of these! I already made a cover for my swiffer wet mop out of fleece, but will take your suggestion and use flannel for this. A friend gave me some pj’s that were not my size, but were flannel. I kept them to use for craft projects because I LOVE flannel. this will be perfect!

95. I love this idea and will try it as I have a lot of unused flannel from when my kids were babies. I like Swiffering because it does not use electricity. I was trying to find out if the dust clothes for the broom type are reusable by washing. I am thinking of removing the dust outside and hand washing a bunch at a time. I am always looking for eco friendly ways to clean so thank you for this post!

96. Just made this! Thanks so much for a great tutorial!

97. Please avoid using polar fleece for this, or anything else, because cutting and washing fleece releases tiny specks of plastic fibre that is non biodegradable. When you wash fleece the fibres run out to the rivers/lakes/seas where fish etc mistake them for yummy plankton and will poison themselves. If you breathe a cloud of cut polar fleece dust you are filling your lungs with plastic gunk and that can’t be good

98. Thank you so much for this. I had the swiffer duster that I got through a free promo and knew I would never buy the throw aways to go on it, but I really liked using it. This solves my problem. I just made one and dusted with it. So glad to be able to wash and reuse! Thanks again!
    -Kimberly in NC
    knchock at yahoo

99. Originals can be washed in the dishwasher and are perfect .. I do it for over a year and still AS NEW
    A great hug for all of you… and sorry for my English, is so poor…

100. Sorry… I writed washing machine, no dish washer. I don’t know how is success… Kissis for all

101. Found you via Pinterest. I just made one of these – the only thing different I did was stitch two little straight lines at the top so that the plastic handle doesn’t go flying out that end! Love this, thanks so much for sharing it!

102. I have a swiffer and a pledge handle , but have been to cheap to boy the cloths now I can make some :)

103. If you cut the flannel in the diagonal you will not get so much fraying…
    But I love this thanks for sharing it…..

104. Mary Dixon says:

How about using old tee shirts? I have had a pile of scraps from using tee shirts to make a big quilt and can’t stand to just toss it all out.

105. Chris Huff says:

You are a GENIUS!!! This is GREAT!!!! I’m going to make up a ton of these!!! :-D THANK YOU!!!

106. Thank you for this! I love my Swiffer duster, it makes it fun and easy to clean. But the last box of refills I bought (on clearance at the local grocery store) are perfumed and I hate the smell. It’s offensive. I’m pinning this and will be making myself some!

107. Brilliant idea! I sewed one of these by hand (since I’m machine deprived) a few weeks ago from some scrap fleece. It’s the ultimate duster! The more I wash it, the better it gets. I spray a little diluted vinegar on it, and it picks up all the dust like magic.

108. What an awesome idea. I plan to make some soon. Great creativity. Thanks!!

109. Sandy in Montana says:

This is such a great idea !! Every time I buy a new box of refills at Costco they come with a new handle in the box, this is a great way to do away with the extra plastic.

110. Jada Diaz says:

Terrific! Thanks so much for writing this up. A money saver for certain!

111. “Sew” excited to try making these tomorrow ;)! I actually found another tute on someone else’s blog but didn’t have the material (fleece or microfiber) so I googled making one out of flannel since I have a ton of that and came across your blog. Glad to hear you liked the flannel better!

112. I used pinking shears to make all the cuts. More little surfaces to catch and hold dust.

113. The tutorial looks great would like to try this on my own thanks for such a great tutorial.

114. I found out quite accidentally that minky fabric is one of those that picks up and really holds dust. Way to expensive to buy for this, but if you have scrap pieces all is good. Normally you have to wash minky carefully, but since it is being used for this, it won’t matter. Happy cleaning!!!

115. I made a ‘handle’ from a wire coat hanger. Keep hook as a handle and bend the rest of the hanger into 2 loops to fit into the fabric duster.

116. I’m going to look for a flannel sheet at Goodwill to make mine.

117. What a great idea!!! Why didn’t I think of this. Thank you!!!!!! Keep um’ coming.

118. I have been making these out of fleece. I love them!! Dust sticks to the fabrics better than to the sweeper ones. I may have to try them from flannels. I have some of that too!
    Marsha

119. Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.

Please let me know. Many thanks

120. I am actually pleased to glance at this weblog posts which consists of lots of valuable facts, thanks for
    providing these information.

121. I have been wanting to make re-usable dusters for my Swiffer for so long. Thank-you, Thank-you.

122. Debbie Foxx says:

I made one yesterday and just used it. Works better than the dusters that go with the handle! LOVE it! Just used some fleece scraps! I also cleaned my ceiling fan-and lastly-before tossing it in the wash-I dusted the sides and behind my toilets-always hard places to get to and get dusty. Two thumbs up!!! Thanks!

123. I’ve had this pinned for forever but just ran out of the paper cloths and decided to try it. I make receiving blankets, bibs and burp cloths for charity, so had plenty of flannel scraps and didn’t have to buy a thing. Turned out great and I’m getting ready to toss it in the washer now. Thanks!

The Swiffer kits are always fairly cheap, but they kill you on the refills and I hate throwing them away. (I use cloth for “paper towels” whenever possible, too.)

124. The right way to use Google Adwords is revealed in an easy manner.
    Penguin algorithm that got rolled out in April, 2012 almost
    shook SEO industry. I attempted it a few
    times, and as addictive as the game was with the GOOGLE letters inside the maze, I didn’t obsess over it for hours.

Trackbacks

1. […] Of course, you could use a good extendable duster to reach the dust. You could even make your own DIY duster to get to these […]

2. […] dusting cloth”. I wish this was original, but it’s not. There is a great tutorial here. Where my input enters is with some revisions to these very well laid out […]

3. […] and create waste. You can re-create the convenience by making your own versions that are reusable. Here is a duster DIY.¬†Here is a sweeper […]

4. […] came across THIS tutorial on making your own reusable dusting cloths. I made a couple on Saturday using leftover […]

5. […] came across THIS tutorial on making your own reusable dusting cloths. I made a couple on Saturday using leftover […]