I’ve been super excited to share today’s post with you. Almost as excited as I’ve been that this project is finished! You may have seen a few peeks of the progress on Instagram along the way, and I’m thrilled to finally get to show you the finished product.
You see, Wyatt has needed a new dresser for quite some time. I had been wanting to put the green dresser in his room (part of the de-greening I’m doing in my living room), but since we’ve been using it as a buffet for our tv, I was waiting until I found something to replace it.
I searched Craigslist for months waiting for the perfect project to come along, and luckily I found this beaute one day for $40. Joel was not one bit thrilled about the whole idea of it all, and was sure that it had no hope. But of course I knew better, as wives usually do :). I was so excited to start sanding that I almost forgot the always-important before photos.
I loved the lines and details, and functionally it was perfect. And guess what else? It was clean!!! At least until I got my hands on it. I don’t know how a 30+ year old piece of furniture could be so clean, but let me tell you, it was. And I was happy.
Want to see what it looks like now (please say yes :))?
Here’s the rundown on what I did… First, I lightly sanded the entire buffet, and then primed it. With all the details, I didn’t want to risk not priming it, and used Kilz Oil Based Spray Primer.
After two coats and six cans of primer, I painted two coats with a paint sprayer. In the past I’ve used a $15 paint sprayer from Harbor Freight that attached to our air compressor, but it recently bit the dust (and we have some still half-painted chairs to prove it). I debated whether to get a new similar sprayer, or get a stand alone unit instead. In the end, we bought the Wagner Control Spray Max HLVP Sprayer. It had really great reviews on Amazon, and worked really well for me. The learning curve was small and it did a great job, even with latex paint. Many decent priced sprayers aren’t suited for latex paint, but it handled it beautifully with just a little thinning.
After painting, I distressed it enough to allow the original stain to peek through around the edges.
I also sprayed it with three coats of water based Polyurethane (sometimes called Polyacrylic) for protection. If you’re painting a piece white, the rule of thumb is to always use a water based Polyurethane, as oil based will yellow over time. Somehow, my white paint still changed a bit in color to be slightly creamy, which I cannot for the life of me figure out. Thank goodness though, I actually prefer the new color to the original white. It’s just a little bit warmer and takes the edge off the white.
I went back and forth a lot on what pulls to put on the finished buffet, but in the end I really love these. They give the buffet just the look that I had envisioned, and fit my style perfectly.
I’m also happy to report that I was successful in changing Joel’s mind. He’s just as happy with it now as I am :).