DIY Cactus Costume

Happy Halloween! This year I was perfectly content with doing zero sewing for Halloween. We had plans for a hand-me-down handmade witch, a Costco princess, and a couple others thanks to Amazon. Of course, that all changed when my 10 year old and I came across some fun Cactus Costume ideas two days before our Halloween party ;). So thanks to that, today I’m sharing this DIY Cactus Costume!

Most of the ideas we found online used supplies that wouldn’t be washable, and I’m a firm believer that if I spend the time and energy to make a costume, it better get used by at least one other child in subsequent years. In this case, all three younger siblings should be able to wear it as they grow up (and believe me, they will ;)), and it will be able to be washed over and over again.

I originally searched online for a green sweatsuit to use as a base, but had no luck finding anything that was both in stock and that would arrive in time. But luckily my friend Hayley from Mouse House Creations had sent me her new Dress Up Hoodie pattern literally the same day that I decided to make the costume, and I knew it would be the perfect fit (no pun intended, but it was indeed a perfect fit in more ways than one). For the pants, I traced a pair of Wyatt’s sweats, but the Mini Hudson Pants would be another option that would work great.

Once I had all of the pieces cut out, I began tying all of the knots. I figured it would be easier with the flat pieces than once everything was sewn together, and I’m glad I did it that way. I used white yarn and did it quilting style – running the needle through the entire pattern piece at each desired tie, then snipping between each, then tying each into a square knot and trimming the excess yarn. It took me three hours to do all the pieces, but was easy to do.

 

I found the tie dye green fleece from Jo-Ann, and because I knew it wouldn’t have a huge amount of stretch and I wanted Wyatt to be able to layer the costume if needed, I sewed a size 12 (he was between 10 and 12 on the size chart) and added 1″ to the bodice length. I omitted the hood lining and front pocket to keep it as simple as possible.

For the lizard, I haphazardly drew a lizard shape on some brown felt, sewed along the lines, and cut just outside the lines afterwards. It is pretty elementary, but I have to admit it still turned out better than I would expect from my non-existent drawing skills, lol. I pinned it onto the hoodie with a safety pin from behind.

The face paint – that was all Wyatt, hehe. I didn’t know what he was up to, and then when I called him out to take some quick photos, he came out in full green face paint. He was pretty proud of himself, and I’m still chuckling about it.

I don’t get a chance to sew for Wyatt much anymore, and I’m so glad I took the time to make this for him. He’s told me quite a few times how much he loves his costume, and I can tell he feels like a million bucks in it. Hope you all have a happy and safe Halloween! 

Comments

  1. super

  2. It is a great costume! He does look so cool in it!

Leave a Comment

*